A biomedical technician uses a combination of biology, bio-mechanical principles and engineering knowledge to design and evaluate biological and health system products. This may include artificial organs, instrumentation and health care delivery systems.
Biomedical Technician Salary
The biomedical technician salary is about $88,000 per year.
This is dependent on:
- research abilities among other aspects of expertise.
One thing that greatly affects the amount of the biomedical technician wage is the amount of experience that they have. A biomedical technician with little to no experience will start with a pay rate of $51,000 per year. This will steadily increase as you gain more experience. With five years of experience under your belt working in this industry, the biomedical technician salary will increase to $65,000 per year. Technicians that have ten or more years of experience will see a spike in the biomedical technician income of $85,000 per year. The biomedical technician pay will increase to $109,000 per year once you have at least fifteen years of experience in the biomedical field. The top pay can be reached once you have twenty years of experience. At this level the biomedical technician salary is at $134,000 per year. It is important to note that these salary figures are just averages for the amount of experience listed and it is possible to make even more than the numbers listed above. Raises in this industry depend largely on job performance.
Biomedical Technician Description
The main job of a biomedical technician is to design and deliver the promised technology that will assist people who have disabilities.
- They work hard to design and develop diagnostic and clinic instrumentation for medical purposes.
- They also develop equipment and procedures for
usageof these items.
- They conduct research on human and animal systems as part of a research team that may include chemists, several types of scientists and various engineers. Research and development may include prosthesis, artificial organs and limbs
andhealth care delivery systems.
- They work to develop new types of energy for biomedical products.
- They develop, install, maintain and repair biomedical equipment.
- They keep documentation of service and troubleshooting history which may include common problems and their solutions.
- They analyze new procedures to forecast outcomes for the future.
- They evaluate the safety and effectiveness of all types of biomedical equipment.
- They conduct training seminars for doctors and other medical professionals teaching them how to properly use biomedical equipment.
Biomedical Technician Education
There are two ways to become a biomedical technician. Both of these will require you to obtain a degree from an accredited college.
- The first way is to get a bachelor’s degree in biomedical engineering. This process will take four years to complete.
- The second way to get started as a biomedical tech is to get a bachelor’s degree in any other type of engineering and then get a graduate degree in biomedical engineering. This process will take about six years to complete.
Courses of study will
Licensing and certification
Biomedical Technician Work Environment
The work environment for a biomedical technician can vary. They work in various settings depending on their specialty. Some may work in hospitals, some may work in a lab environment doing research, some may work in manufacturing and others may work in an office setting to support businesses. These technicians may work with patients and with doctors and other research staff. Typically the work schedule for biomedical technicians is a normal full time schedule of forty hours per week. However due to the nature of the job during the research and manufacturing process, there may be some overtime required.
Biomedical Technician Outlook
Biomedical technicians provide services and products for disabled patients that really need them. They make it possible for a person with no use of their legs to walk again. At times this can be a highly stressful job but there are many aspects to it that are rewarding. It is important when looking for a job to find one that you can be proud of what you do each and every day. This is certainly possible when working as a biomedical tech. The work may be hard but in the long run it is very much worth it.